Recipe based on Chocolate chunk cookies with almonds (Giada's incredible cookies. Version 1)
time: 30 min preparation + 3x13 min baking + 15 min cooling
- 1/2 cup (75 g) oats (not instant)
- 2 1/4 cups (340 g) regular flour OR, what I used:
- 1 cup (120 g) whole spelt flour and
- 1 1/4 (190 g) cup regular flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (8 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (4 g) salt
- 2 sticks (240 g) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup (330 g) light brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, split open, seeds removed
- 1 cup (140 g) whole hazelnuts
- 7 oz (200 g) milk chocolate
- 5 oz (140 g) dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F (fan forced function). Line four baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a food processor with steal blades, blend oats till fine. Transfer it to a medium bowl and mix it together with flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Prepare hazelnuts: On a medium skillet set on medium/high, toast nuts for 5 minutes, stirring often. Rub cooled nuts between your hands to remove the thin skin. Chop them in a food processor with steal blades or with a big knife. Chop chocolates the same way.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer equipped with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and vanilla seeds till fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs (one and then the other), scraping sides and bottom of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary. Add the flour mix. Combine it together without over-mixing. Stir in chocolate and hazelnut pieces.
- Using an ice cream scoop or two tablespoons (and some water to dip your tools in), make golf-size balls and arrange on the sheets, loosely spaced, 9 balls on each. Do not flatten.
- Place one baking sheet at the time in the hot oven for about 13 minutes, till cookies just starting to slightly brown around the edges (or one edge).
- Take the sheet out of the oven, let cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes and then lift and transfer (using a flat, skinny tool) to a cooling rack for further cooling.