Recipe by me
time: 30 minutes (+ time to prepare beans)
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1 1/2 cup dry red beans, soaked overnight and cooked w/o salt
- 8 celery stalks, chopped not too thick
- 3 medium carrots, cut in matchsticks (preferably with a mandolin slicer)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil + more for dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, quantity divided
- In a medium pot with 2 cups boiling water, add 1/4 teaspoon salt and buckwheat. Cook covered on low heat for about 20 minutes, till all water absorbed (can be prepared ahead).
- On a large skillet, heat 4 Tbs oil on medium/high heat. Add chopped celery, sauté for 5 - 6 minutes, adding salt and nutmeg in the middle of cooking, till tender/crisp. Add carrots, sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in beans and buckwheat. Cook for a minute. Take it off the heat. Drizzle with oil, adjust seasoning and serve.
- an exciting game of tastes and textures;
- crunchy/tender vegetables, soft beans and fluffy buckwheat;
- sweet carrot, spicy/bitter celery, hearty beans and earthy buckwheat...dressed with olive oil with a touch of nutmeg;
- it's good hot, warm or room temperature and it can be easily reheated;
- enough for the three of us for almost 2 days;
- I've been making full pots of food lately...so that Julian doesn't decide to fry onions after 8pm.